MT Total waste 120,000 100,000 80,000 40,000 20,000 0 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 39 However, during 2015 these challenges were overcome and we managed to reduce waste to landfill from 2,500 MT to 1,400 MT, a decrease of 44 percent. Waste to landfill represents 1.3 percent of total waste disposals leaving 98.7 percent disposed for reuse, recycling or recovery, exceeding our global 2015 objective. A large proportion of the waste is shea meal, which is the residual product when oil is extracted from shea kernels. Shea meal has no nutritional value and is used as biomass in power plants. Hazardous waste % 2.0 1.5 1.0 0.5 0.0 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Resource efficiency projects – Waste AAK Hillside, New Jersey, USA Waste oil and fat product used for biofuel Two waste recovery systems were installed to recover oil and fat product process waste from processing lines. One system is a kettle which was installed to recover oil and fat and send to a tank. The other system is a pump and drum system which is designated for oil-based products with high viscosity and other solids which are sent to two external holding tanks. Hillside partnered with a waste re-processing company which pulls both waste streams, fat and waste bins and processes the waste for biofuel or re-purpose. 180 MT of waste was processed into biofuel or re-purposed which resulted in SEK 175,000 to Hillside. AAK Merksem, Belgium Waste reduction By focusing on total waste production, AAK’s site in Merksem improved its resource efficiency. Main focus was reduction of factory waste and reduction of products expiring in the warehouse. By improving planning order efficiency combined with increased possibilities of rework while still respecting quality parameters, factory waste was reduced by 25 percent.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above